Build problems with cmake / msvc2005

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 23:08:01 CET 2006

Hi,

I followed the instructions on http://www.kdelibs.com and tried to build
the lateest  qt-4.1.1, cmake and kdelibs.
My experiences so far:
- Building qt-4.1.1 with the supplied patch and msvc2005 was simple.
- Compiling cmake: I downloaded cmake-2.2 and generated NMake Makefiles.
Compiled and installed fine, but msvcp80.dll/msvcr80.dll were missing
and not installed, so running cmake failed.
As I wanted to have CMakeSetup.exe anyway I tried again with Visual
Studio 8 as target. This worked as expected.
If I tried to generate the Visual Studio Project files with the latest
cmake CVS snapshot, the Install Project did not work. It looked for the
binary cmake in bin/cmake while it was generated in bin/release/cmake.
- Built kdewin32 with nmake, no problems.
- Wanted to install all prerequisites listed on kdelibs.com, couldn't
find libagg2 on gnuwin32.sf.net. So the doc should probably be updated
- cmake -G"NMake Makefiles" ..\kdelibs failed. It couldn't find the
kdewin32 lib. The problem was, that it looked for a lib called
kdewin32.lib, while by default the debug version is built which is
called kdewin32d.lib.
- The libxml2 include path was not detected automatically (although I
unpacked the libxml2 zipfile in gnuwin32). I had to manually specify
LIBXML2_INCLUDE_DIR to C:\gnuwin32\include\libxml (I guess the libxml
subdirectory is the culprit)
- The png lib and include path were not detected. I set
PNG_LIBRARY=C:\gnuwin32\lib\libpng.lib and
PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR=C:\gnuwin32\libpng13 manually.
- Compilation failed: Build log is attached.

Hope this information is valuable to you.

Cheers,
Michael