David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Mar 15 22:29:40 CET 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 19:21, William A. Hoffman wrote:
> At 01:01 PM 3/15/2006, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> >> Because we can distribute the compilation, but we cannot distribute
> >> moc'ing or uic'ing. Anything that is not "gcc" or "g++" cannot be
> >> distributed to the compile farm.
> >
> >Ok, but moc and uic are "cheap" compared to compiling and linking.

Yes IMHO it's not a big problem if moc and uic are run in parallel locally.

> Can you tell me how this works?   Are you using gmake and distcc?

No; our current solution which supports "N compile jobs in parallel but
only one linking job at a time", is "unsermake". An automake+make replacement,
written in python, and living in trunk/kdenonbeta/unsermake in the KDE svn.
A very nice build tool (it has other features that I'll be requesting from cmake
at some point ;), but with the major disadvantage that it still relies on autoconf
for the configuration part, so it's no portable solution.

The actual distribution over a compile farm can be done with distcc or
with the KDE fork of it, icecream (which has a nice GUI, and an easier setup AFAIK).