William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Wed Mar 15 19:21:18 CET 2006

At 01:01 PM 3/15/2006, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>On Wednesday 15 March 2006 18:53, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> William A. Hoffman wrote:

>> >There is a way to do 1 linking job with make, and we have talked about
>> > how to do it.  I did not realize that one moc job was a problem as
>> > well? Why do you only want one moc job at a time?
>>
>> Because we can distribute the compilation, but we cannot distribute
>> moc'ing or uic'ing. Anything that is not "gcc" or "g++" cannot be
>> distributed to the compile farm.
>
>Ok, but moc and uic are "cheap" compared to compiling and linking.

Can you tell me how this works?   Are you using gmake and distcc?
If so, the only problem would be that too many moc runs will happen
at the same time, but it may not take longer or that much longer than running
them one by one.   But I guess this is where the link problem comes up, because
distcc will want the -j N to match the number of machines in the compile farm,
and you will not want to link all them at the same time on the local machine,
as it might start to thrash.  Is that correct?

-Bill