is "grep" command exists into cmake ?

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Tue Mar 14 23:28:51 CET 2006

At 01:09 PM 3/9/2006, Michael Pyne wrote:
>On Wednesday 08 March 2006 12:13, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>> As long as we are on the topic of external tools.
>> I noticed that perl is called during the build process in
>> several spots.   I know there is perl for windows, but
>> it seems a bit much to require its installation for a build.
>> Perhaps these scripts should be converted to something more
>> portable.
>
>More portable like... ?

More portable like cmake scripts.  It is one more thing you have
to get to build the system.   The question is exactly what are
the perl scripts doing, and if it can be done in a clean readable
way with cmake directly it would be the preferred way to go.

>perl is probably more portable than sh, grep, etc. if we're talking about
>Windows.

However, it is not a default installation on many systems.   It is nice
when you can avoid the Easter egg.  I want to build X, ok then first install
A B C D...   They have to install CMake, so if you can do the job in cmake
without much effort, then I would say it should be done that way.

>And make and friends don't exactly support every feature needed out of a
>buildsystem, which is why they support calling external programs. ;)
CMake strives to support every feature...   And if there is something missing
we can add it.

>It would perhaps be possible to port things that don't really need perl on a
>case-by-case basis if they need to be on Windows and our normal UNIX-y
>platforms, but I would hope it's only using perl if it needs to already.
It maybe worthwhile to examine the purpose of existing perl scripts and
see how hard it would be to replace them with cmake code.

-Bill