There can be only one! (global.h)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Mar 6 10:21:15 CET 2006

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>On Sunday 05 March 2006 14:59, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>> On Sunday, 5. March 2006 11:46, Peter Kümmel wrote:
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > while compiling khtml/kjs with mingw I've met a problem:
>> >
>> > There are THREE global.h files,
>> >
>> > kio/kio/global.h   <- svn
>> > kjs/global.h   <- generated by the build process
>> > kjsembed/kjsembed/global.h  <- svn
>> >

>> > Because the naming is incorrect, these files are not
>> > global they are only visible in their "include-space",
>> > I propose the rename them.
>>
>> How so? kio/global.h is always included as such and the same for kjs -
>> not sure about kjsembed, but it shouldn't matter at all.
>>
>> So where is your problem?
>
>It works, but it's not nice. I already wanted to write basically the
> same email. It only works if the include directories are given
> correctly, otherwise it will include the wrong global.h and the
> compiler will produce errors, but not that it didn't find the header.
>
>I'd suggest to rename them to something like kjs-global.h and
> kio-global.h . Especially now that we have svn :-)

While that's a valid suggestion, I don't understand the reason behind it.

#include <kio/global.h> will never clash with the KJS or KJSEmbed's
global.h. If you find somewhere it's doing #include "global.h", it's
probably best to change there.

As for the other two global.h, it should work too. In the future, if we
move things around in SVN, we may end up with duplicate names too, so
it's important to support that from the start.

The include paths are defined per directory, right? So what's the whole
problem?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.