bksys / scons (Re: win32 port)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Jan 11 22:56:54 CET 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 22:38, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Brad King wrote:
> >If you want a more customizable rpath with the option of install-time
> >rpath changing I have some ideas on how to implement them in CMake.  I
> >can give you more details on any of these approaches.
>
> A standard KDE build has rpath enabled, but developers, when developing,
> try to run uninstalled executables from the builddir. That means the
> rpath that is there will get in the way and must be dealt with.
>
> Currently, libtool relinks the executable, prepending the build dirs in
> rpath.
>
> I'm not sure if the developers would welcome a "if you want to run before
> installing, you must build without rpath, which means you shouldn't
> install" alternative.

Right, that doesn't seem like a good option at all.

But the wrapper script which sort of emulates rpath sounds like a good idea,
at least for developers. For users (i.e. in release mode) we probably want to
remove that overhead.

/me thinks someone should start having a look at compiling kdelibs trunk with cmake :)