cleaning the generic module :)

Frederic-Emmanuel PICCA piccaf at physics.mcgill.ca
Mon Jan 9 10:50:37 CET 2006

Hello

I am proposing a patch for cleaning a part of the generic module.

1) For now I moved the parsing of the command (non platform specific)
from the platform specific part to the main generic.py file.

I removed the unnecessary flags GENCXXFLAGS of the debug section of
unix/detect_generic.py. GENCCGLAGS is automatically add to GENCXXFLAGS.

2) I propose to set the prefix to /usr as default for unix platform and
"C:\" open for dicussion :) for the win32 platform. (I do not have a
cygwin installation so I don't know about the default installation path
in that environment.

3) I am wondering about the environmental variable which are influencing
the compilation. Must we add them to the GEN FLAGS ?

for gcc their are:
  GCC_EXEC_PREFIX, COMPILER_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH, LANG
  CPATH, C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH, OBJC_INCLUDE_PATH

So what is the meaning of
if os.environ.has_key('CXXFLAGS'):  env['GENCXXFLAGS']  +=
SCons.Util.CLVar( os.environ['CXXFLAGS'] )

if os.environ.has_key('CFLAGS'): env['GENCCFLAGS'] = SCons.Util.CLVar(
os.environ['CFLAGS'] )

if os.environ.has_key('LINKFLAGS'): env['GENLINKFLAGS'] +=
SCons.Util.CLVar( os.environ['LINKFLAGS'] )

CXXFLAGS, CFLAGS, LINKFLAGS are not present in the gcc man page.

4) I removed the redondant flags '-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500', '-D_BSD_SOURCE',
  when '-D_GNU_SOURCE' is use.

5) I removed the BKS_DEBUG test at the end of generic.py.
This test was executed after the configuration. So it is redundant. When
configuration was already done, GEN FLAGS are sufficient to compile in
debug mode. Maybe am I wrong.

Have a nice day.