bksys / scons (Re: win32 port)

Jaison Lee lee.jaison at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 04:51:49 CET 2006

> > IMHO, the best solution is to fix scons. Then we're
> > not the only ones who gain
> > from the fixes, because if we're having these
> > problems, then others are bound
> > to have them as well.
>
> I agree, just make patches and have them accepted
> first. I have started some experiments that i have to
> finish now.

I'm willing to take Thomas's word that the scons folks will be
unresponsive to changes to scons. He gives the impression of someone
that has already been down that road. :)  Just looking at the scons
project from the outside makes me think that.

That said, scons as it is is gaining acceptance and I just hate to see
KDE keep its own fork of scons unless it is absolutely necessary. KDE
is a big enough project as it is. I would view a local scons fork as a
drain on developer time unless there are some EXTREMELY motivating
reasons, and I'm not sure that the things Nagy has said so far has
convinced me it's necessary.

Unsermake for example fixed some very serious problems in make that
could cause it to fail to do what it was supposed to do. I'm not sure
that a difference in command line options and a moderate speed gain
are worth it for scons. The most damning thing against scons is its
adherence to Python 1.5, but I still don't see why that would bother
us. There's no reason that bksys has to support Python 1.5.

(I'm new to the build system community, so if I'm alone in my thinking
or speaking out of turn then let me know and I'll shut up
immediately.)