bksys / scons (Re: win32 port)

Nagy Thomas tnagy256 at yahoo.fr
Sat Jan 7 17:40:56 CET 2006

> > I did, and our requirements (like 'a good
> > configuration framework') are wanted by many other
> > people too. Scons is throttled by backward
> > compatibility, and its (now very low) amount of
> > developers with commit access.
> >

> Perhaps we could convince them that breaking
> backwards compatibility is
> perhaps the only way to move their project forward?

Try and see.

> Even the oldest of
> distributions should have python 2.2 and there is a
> windows version of it. Do
> we know why they insist on keeping backwards
> compatibility with python 1.5.2?

Several companies are relying on scons for in-house
development, as a result not-so-useful features cannot
be changed or removed. But you should probably ask
them yourself.

> do you know where the performance problems are?

Too much string manipulation (substitution parsers
using regexps), discutable design decisions (like
rescanning everything everytime), little code
flexibility.

> > * the source code of scons must be kept compatable
> > python 1.5.2
>
> why is this an issue?

Python 1.5.2 is too old, as a result, many features
found in Python 2.2 have to be reimplemented just for
scons.

> > * command-line handling is not compatible with
> > autotools and difficult to fix
>
> why does it need to be compatible? scons != automake

I was asked for this:
 scons --option=35 -t
as the following is not satisfactory:
 scons option=35 t=True

> IMHO, the best solution is to fix scons. Then we're
> not the only ones who gain
> from the fixes, because if we're having these
> problems, then others are bound
> to have them as well.

I agree, just make patches and have them accepted
first. I have started some experiments that i have to
finish now.

Regards,
Thomas

/* Thomas Nagy */