bksys / scons (Re: win32 port)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jan 6 10:59:42 CET 2006

On Friday 06 January 2006 01:08, Matt Rogers wrote:
> For KDE, we are requiring either gcc or msvc >= 7 on windows, so no, I don't
> think we're interested.

Well, OTOH if we gain another contributor to bksys, I don't see the problem
with him fixing some test so that it supports msvc6. We simply need a way
to refuse that compiler at configure time in kde.

> As a sidenote, If you're building a non-qt project, you probably don't even
> want to use bksys, but just normal scons instead. bksys's configure detection
> mechanisms only use and build on what scons already provides, so I don't
> understand how you gain anything by using bksys.

Well, I think Frederic has a good point; given how limited the 'configure' part of
scons is, we certainly need to extend it a lot in bksys [see the thread
"modular configuration" for an example], so it makes sense for people working
on projects with autoconf-like configuration needs to use (and contribute to) bksys.
I'd certainly be very happy to

All in all, I'm not sure how the collaboration with the scons people goes - whether
we can contribute a much improved configuration framework, or whether the
only choice is to keep forking more and more stuff. And that's only about the
configuration part, but apparently ita is reworking the rest of scons too... ?

ita, did you talk to the scons people about those improvements? Initially
one of the reasons for choosing scons was that it wouldn't be a kde-only
build system like unsermake, so that we would benefit from the work of
non-kde people on the build system. But if we're now forking it all, we're losing
that benefit. On the other hand I realize that those rewrites/improvements
are necessary, I just wonder if we couldn't work with the scons people to
have them done "upstream" to avoid ending up with two completely different
and incompatible build systems.