help with CMake on win32

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Feb 7 17:50:59 CET 2006

Hi,

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 17:19, Peter Kümmel wrote:
> Brad King wrote:
> > Peter Kümmel wrote:
> >> we need a kdewin32 before the configure process starts, because
> >> kdewin32 exports many checked functions to kdelibs.
> >>
> >> So we have somehow to get kdewin32 build befor the configure
> >> processs starts.
> >
> > If kdewin32 provides certain functions then there is no need to do a
> > try-compile to test for them.  We know we are using the library and that
> > it provides the functions.
> >
> > In the case that we are building kdewin32 then the try-compile results
> > should just be hard-coded to true for the functions provided.  I think
> > this is what ConfigureChecksWin is supposed to do, but it should be
> > included BEFORE the checks so that they are not done at all.
> >
> > -Brad
>
> But if we use ConfigureChecksWin then we have to adjust it manually
> which is very error prone, there will be also changes to kdewin in future.

This is by far better than misusing cmake as it is done now. This is hard to
understand and will probably lead to hard-to-trace problems.
For the only two options we have see below.

> I would prefer some form of kdewin-pre-build.
> Maybe by some IFs in the CMakefiles or by calling a additional
> CMakefile for building kdewin before the configure process starts.

I see only these two options:

1) put the functions which are provided by kdewin32 in
ConfigureChecksWin.cmake and everything should work smoothly in one go

2) compile kdelibs/win/ completely separate from kdelibs/.
I.e.
-run cmake in kdelibs/win/CMakeLists.txt
-compile and *install* kdelibs/win/
-run cmake in kdelibs/, ignore kdelibs/win/ completely, check for the
availability of the kdewin32 library as usual.

Since option 2) requires more changes in the source code, like adjusting
kdemacros.h etc., I vote strongly for option one for now. This way we will
have a smoothly working cmake build on windows very soon.

So, Peter, can you please change it back the all-in-one-go style, using
COnfigureChecksWin.cmake ?

Bye