Strategy for choosing a build system

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Mon Feb 6 12:22:32 CET 2006

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Benjamin Reed wrote:

> I'd rather write a nice intermediate format for the Makefile.am
> replacement and generate CMakeLists.txt than work with the bksys
> stuff.

Looking at cmake a bit closer this weekend I got an equal impression. It
worked absolutely fine and fast (except a probably known Qt include
dir issue) but I wondered about a syntax translation step that would
derive e.g.

  SET(foo bar)

from

  foo = bar

Whether this would be done by cmake itself or a pre-processor I don't
know. At first sight this might be a purely cosmetic issue. But thinking
about it: it could help (enforce) to keep the input files (Makefile.am
style) very simple. One would just decide where and how to define
extensions.

Harri.