Strategy for choosing a build system

Benjamin Reed rangerrick at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 00:48:07 CET 2006

On 2/3/06, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> It seems to me that the general consensus is that
> - cmake is much more mature at this point
> - bksys will give a much nicer solution in the end
> (most KDE developers prefer an object-oriented syntax, and an all-in-one
> solution over generating Makefiles).

Do you mean "solution" or "syntax" ?  So far cmake seems like it's a
better solution, just with an uglier syntax, as far as I can tell.
(And I would think there are more KDE folks capable of hacking on
CMake's C++ rather than bksys's python).

I'd rather write a nice intermediate format for the Makefile.am
replacement and generate CMakeLists.txt than work with the bksys
stuff.  Maybe I need to take another look at it, I've not messed with
it for a month or two, but last I saw, bksys was riddled with special
cases and basically handled none of the complex shared
library/module/etc. stuff on OSX (and would take huge changes to do
so).

Perhaps the refactoring that's gone on in waf is enough that it will
be easier to make bksys talk OSX, but as it is, it's very non-optimal
(everything's getting built as .dylibs at the moment, for example).