some general questions about (building) kde on windows

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Sat Feb 4 10:06:57 CET 2006

Alexander Neundorf schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> where do windows users get stuff like libxml, libxslt, libpng, libjpeg,
> lib(un)gif, libz and e.g. perl get from ? Are there different version for
> msvc and mingw ? Is there maybe already a document which contains this
> information ?
As long as they're pure c libraries, it's no problem to use the libs
from gnuwin32.sf.net for msvc too.
I created a directory 'kde_deplibs' and installed all the above libs
into this. The I run 'scons configure' with extraincludes=inc_dir and
extralibs=lib_dir. This isn't very nice atm but we thought about an
installer which downloads the libs and creates this directory.

> What are the files in kdelibs/win/tools/ for ? Are they required for msvc or
> mingw ? Do they required a sh compatible shell ? Or are they not needed
> anymore at all ?
They're from kdelibs3 and no longer needed (afaik).

> Are there issues like the RPATH problem on unix under windows too ? IOW, how
> do the just-compiled executables find their libraries ? Do they have to be
> located in some special location or is the location of the libraries somehow
> compiled into the executables ?
The library search path is
1. same directory like executable
2. windows-system directories
3. PATH environment vars
so you have to add the appropriate paths containing the libs to PATH
(seems to be the easiest way for me)

Christian