cmake hype?

Nagy Thomas tnagy256 at yahoo.fr
Fri Feb 3 16:03:56 CET 2006

> On Friday 03 February 2006 14:57, Nagy Thomas wrote:
> > > Ok but I think that we must define a dead line
> > > otherwise into 6 months we will
> > > continue to have 3 build system.
> >
> > I thought that unsermake could be used for kde4
> > development already ?
>
> We can use. But all the time that we must
> move/delete/copy file we must modify
> 3 build system
> it's not good.

I agree, the buildsystem should not be a limitation,
and no one should ever have to modify files in
anything but Makefile.am as the code is changing.

> And I don't think that it works on windows/mac
> environment.

I am a little bit surprized: why are KDE developers
suddenly so eager to use other platforms than the
existing ones ?

> So we must decide to use just one build system, and
> define a deadline
> otherwise it will not possible to switch it.

Agreed. If you do, there should be a frozen kde4
version to use (which is guaranteed to compile)
otherwise the deadline will not hold. It would be a
good idea too to set as an objective for the deadline
that the system actually configures, compiles,
installs and uninstalls everything - at least on Unix.

Be it cmake or bksys/scons, the scripts are more or
less exchangeable anyway - nothing is lost.

--

Concerning bksys/scons i have no home internet
connection so though i cannot upload anything i am

Thomas

/* Thomas Nagy */