cmake hype?

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Fri Feb 3 09:52:47 CET 2006

Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently don't understand the hype about cmake. What's the real
> adavantage over scons. It can't be the config files - I can't see a real
> difference between CMakeLists.txt and SConscript (the Sconscript files need
> some cleanup). I can compile kdelibs with SCons on windows - cmake doesn't
> run (yet). The configuration process with cmake is as slow as with SCons. I
> can't run cmake.exe from command line
> (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=113852517212137&w=2)...
>
> For me it seems to be the only reason why to use cmake is because it's a new
> playground but not because it's better than SCons.
>
> I won't blame the cmake team -  I just wonder why we implement all things
> with three different build systems...
>
> Christian

- objective: cmake could generate project files for several IDEs
- objective: cmake has a UI to set missing variables (for dummies like me)
- objective: no additional dependencies, there is a chance to ship sources with
             the sources of the required build system
- objective: there is support from the cmake people, scons' don't care
- objective: scons looks a little bit antiquated because of the usage of a old python version

- objective:? scons looks a little bit inflexible because of the refusal to update python
- objective:? cmake: better documentation, at least there is a book
- objective:? maybe it's not true but isn't the development of cmake more active?

- subjective: I've tried to start compiling kdelibs on windows with scons and had absolutely
              no success (maybe I've not tried hard enough)
- subjective: Later I've tried it again with cmake, and see some progress
- subjective: I don't wanna learn pyhton (I've recently discovered Lua)
- subjective: building cmake seems more familiarly to me: cvs co ./configure  make
- subjective: isn't the progess with cmake faster than with scons?

Regards,
Peter