[MSVC8] libxml2 and libiconv

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Thu Apr 13 06:43:02 CEST 2006

Thiago Macieira schrieb:
> Michael Drüing wrote:
>> for some reason I get an error each time something links to libxml2.lib,
>> because libxml2.lib needs iconv.lib which is not linked in
>> automatically. I think I remember someone mentioning here on the list
>> that MSVC doesn't do this, so I think this should be fixed in the CMake
>> files... Like, for example, checking if a test-program that links to
>> libxml2.lib (or xml2.lib, whichever was detected) also needs to be
>> explicitly linked to iconv.lib (or maybe libiconv.lib)
>
> And then libxml2.lib changes its dependencies in the future, how do we
> cope?
>
> This is the wrong question to ask. The right question is: in which
> *installed* file does libxml2.lib store its dependency information? Is it
> the lib itself? Does the linker automatically link to the dependencies?
> If not, how can we extract the information from it?

Afaik the import lib *only* depends on it's shread lib and nothing more.
So I think Michael is using a static libxml which is wrong.
Apart from this, I currently stopped msvc compilation because you can't
do anything with the resulting apps (it crshes all over the time)
because we mix release and debug libs.

Christian