[MSVC8] libxml2 and libiconv

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Apr 12 21:38:56 CEST 2006

Michael Drüing wrote:
>for some reason I get an error each time something links to libxml2.lib,
>because libxml2.lib needs iconv.lib which is not linked in
> automatically. I think I remember someone mentioning here on the list
> that MSVC doesn't do this, so I think this should be fixed in the CMake
> files... Like, for example, checking if a test-program that links to
> libxml2.lib (or xml2.lib, whichever was detected) also needs to be
> explicitly linked to iconv.lib (or maybe libiconv.lib)

And then libxml2.lib changes its dependencies in the future, how do we
cope?

This is the wrong question to ask. The right question is: in which
*installed* file does libxml2.lib store its dependency information? Is it
the lib itself? Does the linker automatically link to the dependencies?
If not, how can we extract the information from it?

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway