KDE/kdelibs

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Apr 9 22:32:18 CEST 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 01:43, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > 3) handle as 4+5 and relink during installation ?
> >
> > No, please.
>
> Your email came to late, I just committed.
>
> > > Wouldn't take a lot of time since this are only very few apps.
> >
> > It's not the time that is the problem, it's the "sudo make install" ->
> > wrong permissions, problem.
>
> In which way wrong permissions ?
People who do
   make ; su -c "make install"
end up with the relinked binary owned by root, which leads to problems
later on when doing "make". Doing linking operations during "make install"
is just wrong IMHO.

> Is it good enough that where this is problematic should just
> build without RPATH at all ?

Yes, since we have the wrapper shell script for calling those binaries anyway, no?
Does .kcfg compilation in kdelibs happen by calling kcfg_compiler.sh automatically?

> So it seems we don't need
> kde4_add_executable( target [ NOGUI | RUN_UNINSTALLED] ...)
> but
> kde4_add_executable( target [NOGUI] [RUN_UNINSTALLED] ...)
> Right ?

Do you mean being able to set both NOGUI and RUN_UNINSTALLED?
Hmm... I can't see the relation with the above, but certainly this seems useful
for unit-test programs, and for e.g. kcfg_compiler.

GUI+RUN_UNINSTALLED would be what interactive test programs
(e.g. kdeui/tests/kwindowtest) would use.