changes how Qt4 is found in trunk/kdelibs/

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Thu Apr 6 17:16:19 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 5. April 2006 22:27 schrieb William A. Hoffman:
> At 02:58 PM 4/5/2006, you wrote:
> >William A. Hoffman wrote:
> >>Well, it is not installed on any of those machines that I have access
> >> to.
> >
> >One example:
> ># uname -a
> >SunOS mimir 5.9 Generic_117171-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1500
> ># pkg-config --version
> >0.14.0
> ># which pkg-config
> >/usr/bin/pkg-config
>
> Counter examples:
>
> kitware at dashsun1 $ uname -a
>                                             ~ SunOS dashsun1 5.8
> Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1500 kitware at dashsun1 $
> pkg-config
>                         ~ zsh: command not found: pkg-config
> kitware at destiny $ uname -a
>                                             ~ HP-UX destiny B.10.20 A
> 9000/785 2001165567 two-user license
> kitware at destiny $ pkg-config
>                                             ~ zsh: command not found:
> pkg-config
>
> laserX 1% uname -a
> IRIX64 laserX 6.5 01062343 IP35
> laserX 2% pkg-config
> pkg-config: Command not found.
>
> $ uname -a
> HP-UX heart B.11.11 U 9000/800 617309316 unlimited-user license
> $ pkg-config
> ksh: pkg-config:  not found
>
> I did find it on a university IRIX machine, but I am guessing it did not
> come with it.   I do not think it is a default tool that ship from
> the manufacturer.
>
> -Bill
[...]

Count of systems with pkg-config preinstalled: 1
Count of systems without pkg-config: 6 (incl. MacOS X & Win)

Is it really necessary to make developer's lives harder by imposing further
package management tools upon them that don't even exist on the majority of
the potential target platforms?

Especially as cmake already works without them *right now* as Alexander
mentioned.

mfg
	Leo