trunk apidox tools (was Re: doc update)

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Oct 31 09:44:24 CET 2005

Am Sonntag, 23. Oktober 2005 22:37 schrieb Adriaan de Groot:
> On Sunday 23 October 2005 16:49, Frans Englich wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 October 2005 09:14, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> > > In the meantime I've placed temporary the doc under
> > > http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-windows/bksys/doc/
> >
> > http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/ should periodically have
> > generations of the 4.0 apidox, although the relevant links does at this
> > writing give 404.
>
> You'll want to start at, say,
> http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/apidocs/?component=kde-4.0 for a
> nice index page or
> http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/apidocs/apidox-kde-4.0/ for whatever
> has been generated most recently. bksys dox aren't generated at all because
> there's nothing to tell the dox system that there are dox in bksys. For
> that to happen, there would have to be a Makefile.am in bksys/ -- which
> would be a little weird.
>
> This reminds me: Coolo suggests that it's time to get rid of 'make apidox'
> and leave it to a separate tool to do the work; probably in kdesdk or so.
> That's fine, I can easily move the tools out of admin/ into wherever (and
> hey, maybe port them from shell script to python now that we have that
> dependency _anyway_). What we _do_ need to do is agree on how to handle the
> settings for apidox now found in Makefile.am. These are:
>
> 1) That there are apidox at all. Currently marked by "include
> $(top_srcdir)/admin/Doxyfile.am" in Makefile.am.
>
> 2) Cross-references. Marked by "DOXYGEN_REFERENCES".
>
> 3) Excludes. Marked by "DOXYGEN_EXCLUDE".
>
> 4) Random weird-ass other apidox settings, marked by "DOXYGEN_SET_*".
>
> The dox tools also rely on grepping top-level Makefile.am and
> configure.in.in for various settings used in KDE modules (version numbers,
> module names), which need to be kept.
A python based parser for Makefile.am files is there with amtool.py,
am2bksys.py already used this.

Although this seems not to be one day job, more like a 2 weeks job.

What to do in the meantime to get bksys doc public ? adding Makefile.am to
bksys like shonw below ?

cat bksys/Makefile.am
#
# this is a temporay solution to include bksys documentation in official kde
documentation process
#
DOXYGEN_REFERENCES = .
DOXYGEN_EXCLUDE =