main TODO file ?

Stephan Kulow coolo at suse.de
Mon Oct 17 09:30:19 CEST 2005

Am Sonntag, 16. Oktober 2005 23:42 schrieb tnagyemail-ml at yahoo.fr:
> > Personally I think it's really too early for that.
>
> Agreed, it is a bit early.
>
> Someone was talking about a libtool replacement on
> irc, does everybody feel such a thing is necessary by
> the way ?
The main feature lacking from libtool is are the dependent libs. So far you
really need to fill in a lot of dependencies in the libs section. And it
doesn't really help too much if you have to define deps in bksys/ - that
is only taking informations elsewhere - where it does not belong.

So I'm not talking about a full libtool replacement, but libtool like
functionality. And having the .la files around proved useful before, so I
guess we can use that format too.

The problem is, that this isn't really easy getting together with the platform
independent linker stuff that is already in scons/bksys. And I can't motivate
myself at the moment to try harder as the weather is so nice on weekends ;)

But as we speak about TODO: my main concern aren't the SCons files, but the
configure part. That's what caused most problems in the past, so we should
get _that_ one better and not worse (which it is now in quite some aspects).

Greetings, Stephan