build kdecore/svgicons with scons

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Nov 18 15:48:04 CET 2005

Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>> Also, why don't we want to use convenience libraries? is sharing code
>> not a useful thing to do anymore?
>
>Sharing code is recommended. This is done by using shared libraries.
>Convenience libraries (if I understood you properly) are static
> libraries - a no-longer-needed workaround for autotools.
>And as Christian said, these were used once. If these were used more
> than once, it's reasonable to provede them as shared libs, not as
> static.

Let me complement here:

yes, sharing code is useful. That's why we have shared libraries.

Convenience libraries don't share code. They are just an intermediate step
that autotools / libtool forced us to make because they can't link files
that are not in the same directory. What's more, the static .a file is
created only on a handful of platforms.

Even if you linked one convenience library into multiple objects, that
wouldn't share code. And you should compile the same code multiple times
if the compile flags are different (example, the -DMAKE_FOO macro)

In essence, we still support the same functionality now: just build the .o
into your final object.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.