Commercial Linux software

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 05:16:02 CET 2011

On 2011-02-17 Frank wrote:
> Yes. I agree with Eugene here.
> Commercial Linux software might become important in the future but it
> is not now. At least I don´t know a lot of commercial software for
> Linux or People who bought it.

Hmmm, isn't there a chicken-and-egg problem? I know at least World of
Goo has been very popular - I bought it myself as well and I would've
preferred to do that in a proper and easy to use appstore like system :D

> Cheers
> Frank
>
> On 16.02.2011, at 16:16, Eugene Trounev wrote:
> > I agree with your stance there 100%, however I believe that all
> > should come in due time. To be perfectly honest we don't really
> > have anything there yet. All that happened so far is we (all
> > distros, KDE, and GNOME people) came together and discussed a
> > possibility of having a semi-universal app-distribution system.
> > Moreover we actually agreed on having one :D But all it was is
> > just words for now, and one semi-functional proof of concept app.
> > I think (and most would agree with me here) we should implement
> > the system first, make sure it works as intended, start promoting
> > it, and then start thinking about extending it in such a
> > complicated manner as are legals, licensing, payment
> > structure/system and so on. However we still may at least discuss
> > what is/might be needed to implement/facilitate such a system. So
> > why won't we do that for starters?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Eugene Trounev
> > [it-s]
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:23 PM, Andrew <primary.edw at gmail.com>
> > wrote: Eugene,
> >
> >   Actually I think now is the perfect time to start thinking about
the inclusion of pay supported applications. When dealing with a
distribution platform there are many things to consider including: