End of 2016 update on PyKF5 bindings

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 21:44:34 UTC 2017

Shaheed Haque wrote:

> HI Steve,
>
> I closed two of the reviews based on testing KDE/master. That leaves
> only https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/129763/: this should be
> non-controversial as it removes a functional no-op which just gets ion
> the way of my stuff, so please take a look at it when you can.

This doesn't look like a no-op to me. I'm also generally not in favor of
adding things to ECM which do not directly help the goal of getting bindings
into frameworks repos.

I know you are going to continue with running your tool on your /usr/include
anyway, but that is not going to get bindings packaged and into the hands of
users.

One of the lessons of cleaning up the buildsystem in transitioning from KDE4
to KF5/ECM is that having things in the repo which are not used, or which no
one remembers why they are there is a bad thing. I don't think your bulk
generator will ever need to be in ECM (it is not needed to build bindings in
repos), and so this change shouldn't be either. Am I missing something?

I would rather make use of your work by considering headers you have already
processed with the bulk approach (and perhaps you have already created rules
for), determining which repo they belong to, and getting the bindings into
the repo (and getting whatever additional sip_generator.py features are
needed into ECM and unit tested there). That will result in them getting
packaged and into users hands.

> In the meantime, I will rebase onto ECM KDE/master (I see you have
> been busy!) and hopefully we can get stuff merged once I have
> something for you to look at.

Cool. I'm mostly interested in features that will either improve bindings in
repos which already have bindings at all (eg kconfig), or features which
will allow bindings to be added to repos which do not already have them.

If you are processing other headers in your /usr/include, you might have
some idea of what frameworks should be next on the list to get bindings. I
have found

 http://agateau.com/2013/kf5-diagrams/kf5.png

useful, but I don't know if there is a more-updated version.

Thanks,

Steve.