End of 2016 update on PyKF5 bindings

Shaheed Haque srhaque at theiet.org
Mon Jan 2 19:55:59 UTC 2017

Hi Steve,

On 2 January 2017 at 13:17, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Shaheed Haque wrote:
>
> > Hi Steve and others,
> >
> > Using a bit of free time, over on github
> > (https://github.com/ShaheedHaque), I've cued up a few pull requests
>
> Hi Shaheed,
>
> It looks like you made pull requests to merge to my github clone. That is
> obsolete. The work is going on in the kde extra-cmake-modules repo, and
> other frameworks repos.

I looked at the KDE repos before I started work, and somehow missed that
point. Having just rechecked I see that I'll have to rebase as you suggest.

> Can you extract self-contained commits and propose them for that repo?

What is the review procedure for extra-cmake-modules? There is also one
change which needs to be made in a synchronised fashion between
extra-cmake-modules and kguiaddons, any suggestions on how to handle that
are welcome. (All the other changes I have been working on are coded with
compatibility logic as needed to avoid this kind of tight synchronisation).

> You seem to have changed some things in your clone such as using
>
>  enum.kind == CursorKind.ENUM_CONSTANT_DECL
>
> Please extend the unit test in tests/GenerateSipBindings for that and other
> similar items.

I'm always looking for opportunities to add them but in most cases, the
fixes modify the text output for a given source in another framework
component. It is not obvious how to create a simple self-contained test
case. For example, in the case you noticed, the point of the change only
becomes apparent when libclang decides to work in a particular way...and I
have no idea how in general to provoke those cases. I only found this
particular regression when diffing generated output by my original code and
your updated code!

My focus beyond the PRs I posted has been to make the system easier to use
and diagnose, especially for your workflow. Since I'm not doing anything
much functionally there is not much to test there either, other than to run
the stuff you've done and ensure that I don't break your per-framework unit
tests. I've been keeping myself honest by also running the unit tests in
ecm while also running the sip_bulk_generators across the entirety my
/usr/include/KF5 and diffing the results. Hopefully you'll see those
changes in due course.

> > If we can get the PRs merged, and work out item 4 above,
> > what else might be needed to getting this into production?
>
> There are still packaging related issues, but I don't know how to solve
> them
> and I would look to others to provide guidance there.

Likewise, assuming the rebase does not fix it, I'm sure I'll need help with
item 4.

> Other than that, I have just pushed binding generation code and unit tests
> for KGuiAddons. The way forward is to push bindings for other frameworks,
> and to extend the binding generator in extra-cmake-modules with features,
> fixes and unit tests as needed. I'll continue with that when I have time
> too.

Ack. I am looking to track and support your efforts.