Update on PyKF5 bindings

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 22:02:58 UTC 2016

[I wrote this yesterday but just realized it didn't get delivered]

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> I'm wondering what the status is of this project...

Hi Boud,

I've been busy moving from Berlin back to Dublin, which I just did last
weekend. Things were blocked on me for some months.

I've just now pushed the first iteration of the bindings to ECM and a use
of
the generator to KItemModels.

Next steps are

1) Figure out any issues with those regarding CI, packaging etc.
2) Add bindings for other simple libraries
3) Extend the features of the binding generator
4) Add bindings for other libraries which need advanced features
5) GOTO step 3

There are already features which we worked on some months ago which I held
back from the generator for now, so that there is something easy to debug
for step 1.

> I've spend the past
> week defining Krita's bindings wrapper library, and then spent some time
> exposing it to Python. I've first used Python to wrap and expose
> properties and slots dynamically
> (https://phabricator.kde.org/diffusion/KRITA/browse/rempt%252FT1625-python-scripting/plugins/extensions/pykrita/plugin/krita/mikro.py),
> but I'm also considering doing full sip-based bindings.
>
> Writing those by hand is going to be a chore, so it would be nice if the
> autogeneration tool works. This is the bindings library:
>
> https://phabricator.kde.org/diffusion/KRITA/browse/rempt%252FT1625-python-scripting/plugins/extensions/pykrita/libkis/
>
> (Very rough, most things aren't implemented yet, and I generated it from a
> dumb definition file.)

I haven't had a look yet. Hopefully the generator will be usable for those
kinds of things.

Thanks,

Steve.