[Kde-bindings] Qt & SWIG

Dimitar Dobrev dpldobrev at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 13:31:43 UTC 2013

    Cvetoslav,

    Here you are: http://pastie.org/8131201.

    I believe fixing SMOKE would be easier - in the short term. That is:

    1. As you've already read, the development of SMOKE is unreliably slow at best so if youencounter another problem you'd be the one to fix it as well. And the next one... And the next one...
    2. SWIG is actually the better solution, at least for statically typed languages such as C#; SMOKE generates only a reflection layer for the C++ library while everything else - memory management and marshaling, to name a few - you have to take care of yourself. This additional layer in the case of Qyoto contained all bugs that prevented Qyoto from actually working. Some of them still remain.SWIG, on the other hand, automates most, if not all, parts of these tasks;
    3. I don't want to have anything to do with SMOKE any more so if you'd like to take this path, you'd be on your own.

    Regards,
    Dimitar