[Kde-bindings] Is it possible to extend a PyKDE4 installation

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Tue Jul 3 12:42:22 UTC 2012

On 02/07/12 22:11, Shaheed Haque wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not being very knowledgeable about Python, it has taken a little while
> to run this issue in adding
> Python support to kate:
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kwrite-devel&m=134115899827857&w=2
>
> To summarise my understanding:
>
>      - PyKDE4 uses dynamic loading to gain access to the .so files it uses
>
>      - AFAICS, there is no way to add directories to where the .so
> files are looked for (I tried
>      both PYTHONPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH)
>
> So, given that my distro puts PyKDE4 in
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyKDE4, and that as a
> developer, "make install" adds a new file
> /usr/local/lib/.../PyKDE4/kate.so, I don't see any way to
> make "from PyKDE4.kate import *" work except by putting a copy, or a
> link, in the distro directory.
> Or is there?
I guess you could simply pass -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ?

> I wonder if, for say KDE 4.10, it would be better to ship kate.so as
> part of the PyKDE4 bindings?
> (The SIP files I am using clearly started from this part of the
> eco-system in the first place!) Any
> thoughts on that?
In theory kdebindings should depend on kdelibs only (circular
dependencies can occur if we depend on kdebase as well).
But we already have a kate korundum module and kate is in its own repo
now anyway, so there are no objections from my side.

However you'll have to wait for an answer from Simon Edwards, he's
PyKDE's maintainer and has the last word on this.