[Kde-bindings] Is it possible to extend a PyKDE4 installation

Shaheed Haque srhaque at theiet.org
Mon Jul 2 20:11:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

Not being very knowledgeable about Python, it has taken a little while
to run this issue in adding
Python support to kate:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kwrite-devel&m=134115899827857&w=2

To summarise my understanding:

    - PyKDE4 uses dynamic loading to gain access to the .so files it uses

    - AFAICS, there is no way to add directories to where the .so
files are looked for (I tried
    both PYTHONPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH)

So, given that my distro puts PyKDE4 in
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyKDE4, and that as a
developer, "make install" adds a new file
/usr/local/lib/.../PyKDE4/kate.so, I don't see any way to
make "from PyKDE4.kate import *" work except by putting a copy, or a
link, in the distro directory.
Or is there?

I wonder if, for say KDE 4.10, it would be better to ship kate.so as
part of the PyKDE4 bindings?
(The SIP files I am using clearly started from this part of the
eco-system in the first place!) Any
thoughts on that?

Thanks, Shaheed

P.S. The CMakeList.txt installs the file using add_sip_python_module() from:

https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-baseapps/kate/repository/revisions/master/changes/kate/plugins/pate/CMakeLists.txt