[Kde-bindings] Re: Qyoto

Richard Dale richard.dale at telefonica.net
Wed Oct 13 19:32:46 UTC 2010

On Monday, October 11, 2010 05:00:21 pm Arno Rehn wrote:
> On Monday 11 October 2010 15:11:14 Tom Yaxley wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I've been interested in using Qt in C# recently and I came across the
> > Qyoto C# bindings.  Most links I tried relating to it were dead, so I
> > was wondering if the project was still up and running, or if it is a
> > stable state, and it is still available to download somewhere.
>
> There isn't much activity at the moment, but the bindings are not dead yet.
> But we only regenerate the bindings sources just before a new release, so
> we don't have to keep up with always-changing API.
As far as I can see there is quite a lot of potential interest in the Qyoto
bindings. I'm not so sure about the KDE Kimono C# bindings. I think some MeeGo
C# bindings could be a big hit. Mono seems to be going from strength to
strength to me, with the recent C# 4.0 support and so on.

Recently Arno has been doing all the work, while I've done nothing, and he has
created a new project called 'AssemblyGen' which generates the bindings
automatically from the 'Smoke' libraries that Qyoto uses. However, AssemblyGen
is under git control in Gitorious while the rest of the C# bindings are in the
KDE svn kdebindings module. So because of the very slow progress of the svn to
git migration, it is causing some severe problems for KDE language bindings
projects, not just Qyoto. I am actually keen to start working on Qyoto again,
and I hope Arno will be if it becomes popular.

Neither of us 'do Windows' and so the project really needs some kind of
'Windows heavy lifter' to handle the Windows porting and bug fixing that a lot
of people are requesting.