[Kde-bindings] some info needed

Richard Dale richard.dale at telefonica.net
Mon Jun 21 23:22:55 UTC 2010

On Monday, June 21, 2010 07:58:51 pm Arno Rehn wrote:
> On Monday 21 June 2010 20:52:53 you wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm trying to do the same as here:
> > http://www.archivum.info/kde-devel@kde.org/2009-05/00090/Re:-Poppler-C-bi
> > n dings.html (generate c# bindings for poppler qt4 interface)
> >
> > I trying to figure out: should I use kalyptus or qyotoassemblygen? Is
> > there some documentation/help/info about this anywhere? I need some
> > orientation here.
>
> Well, you'll first need a SMOKE lib for poppler, which wraps all the method
> calls in some nicely accessible way. You should use smokegen for that (look
> at the kdebindings sources).
>
> Once you have that, you need to generate the C# sources. Qyotoassemblygen
> works better and more reliably than the kalyptus generator, but the
> assemblies it produces are not 100% compatible with the current C#
> sources. You might have to fiddle around with it a bit.
>
> Currently I don't have much ambitions to carry on working on Qyoto/Kimono,
> since not many people are using it and it's a closed platform after all.
> I'm CC'ing the kdebindings ML, so other people can help as well.
I think that would be a great shame. I'm sorry I've done nothing to help out
with Qyotoassemblygen, and feel that I should have done more. In combination
with using the Smoke runtime, it is the most innovative C# bindings project
out there.

We should certainly get projects like Qyotoassemblygen and smokegen onto git
instead of in kdebindings. I think the fact we are stuff in kdebindings using
svn is beginning to damage the bindings projects. Why do we put so much effort
into  KDE based bindings when 90% of people only want to use the Qt-only ones?
I don't know.

I agree we've had zero success with getting anyone to use the Kimono KDE C#
bindings, although I think there has been some interest in the Qyoto side.
Maybe we haven't put enough effort into hyping and blogging about what we have,
or telling the Mono community about it. i still feel there is a lot of
potential in the project when other C# bindings seem quite popular. For
instance, like on the iPhone and I wonder if there might be a place for a
libdui/MeeGo Touch development environment.