[Kde-bindings] PERL_CXX_FLAGS in perl bindings ?

Chris Burel chrisburel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 23:55:36 UTC 2010

Seems this may be some confusion on my part, as to the definition of
CFLAGS, CCFLAGS, and CXXFLAGS.  However, the PERL_CXX_FLAGS cmake
variable corresponds to the output of:
perl -MConfig -e 'print $Config{ccflags}'

Since it is building a Perl extension it uses the same flags used when
compiling Perl itself, to make sure the resulting extension is
compatible with the perl executable it is building against.  So I'm a
little confused why the build is failing when using these flags.

According to
http://markmail.org/message/kfs4hk62ur244p2r#query:ccflags%20versus%20cflags+page:1+mid:42psnvek45hahoxf+state:results
the CCFLAGS variable should be flags that are common to both C and
C++.  I was under the impression that CFLAGS was for C, and CCFLAGS
and CXXFLAGS were both for C++ (since a .c file is C and .cc and .cxx
are both C++).  Since all the other CMake variables were either C or
CXX ones, I defined PERL_CXX_FLAGS to Perl's ccflags config value,
since I thought they were the same thing.  Perhaps we should rename
the Perl variable to PERL_CC_FLAGS to be more clear.