[Kde-bindings] KDE/kdebindings/csharp/plasma

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Mon Jan 25 20:07:22 UTC 2010

On Monday 25 January 2010 07:55:41 pm Arno Rehn wrote:
> On Monday 25 January 2010 19:37:21 Richard Dale wrote:
> > On Monday 25 January 2010 06:27:10 pm Arno Rehn wrote:
> > > SVN commit 1080147 by arnorehn:
> > >
> > > Remove analog clock examples. They fail to compile after plasma updates
> > >
> > >  anyway.
> > >
> > > CCMAIL: kde-bindings at kde.org
> > >
> > >  M  +1 -1      CMakeLists.txt
> > >  M  +0 -2      examples/applets/CMakeLists.txt
> > >  D             examples/applets/analog-clock (directory)
> > >  D             examples/applets/plasmaclock (directory)
> > > [snip]
> >
> > Oh - should we try and get them working? There is still some work to do
> > on the plasma C# code although it compiles.
> >
> > The problem is that the QGraphicsWidget class has changed quite a lot in
> > Qt 4.6, and the PlasmaScripting_QGraphicsWidget.cs class is supposed to
> > implement the  IGraphicsItem interface. But I didn't have time to get
> > that working and just commented it out (see below), and I think it will
> > mean the casts in the code to QGraphicsItems won't work. I'm not sure
> > what the problems with the clocks were as I didn't have time to
> > investigate, but it could be related.
> >
> >     public class QGraphicsWidget : QObject{
> > //    public class QGraphicsWidget : QObject, IQGraphicsItem {
>
> Yes, we should definitely try to get the Plasma stuff working.
> But I think the plasma clocks aren't really suited to serve as a plasmoid
> example - they just became rather heavy. They depend on a shared library
> (libplasmaclock, which we had to translate as well) and together with all
>  the configuration dialog stuff spread over plasmaclock and analog-clock
>  this makes it a bad example, imho.
Yes, the ruby plasma clock doesn't work either as far as I can remember and so
isn't a good example. But it might still be worth investigating why they
didn't compile in case the problem was non-clock specific.

> I think we should take something lighter to translate to C#, like the
>  pastebin plasmoid from kdeplasma-addons.
> Just as we're at it: how about moving all the examples out of kdebindings
>  and into the new kde-examples branch or whatever it is?
I'm not sure what advantage that has. I think is a good idea to have an
example of each type of plasmoid as a confidence test so you know you've built
the bindings correctly. I'm feeling a bit generally worn out with KDE 4.4 and
would like to change as little as possible and just try and get everything
working. Maybe we can think about better examples for KDE 4.5.