[Kde-bindings] KDE/kdebindings/csharp/plasma

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Mon Jan 25 19:55:41 UTC 2010

On Monday 25 January 2010 19:37:21 Richard Dale wrote:
> On Monday 25 January 2010 06:27:10 pm Arno Rehn wrote:
> > SVN commit 1080147 by arnorehn:
> >
> > Remove analog clock examples. They fail to compile after plasma updates
> >
> >  anyway.
> >
> > CCMAIL: kde-bindings at kde.org
> >
> >  M  +1 -1      CMakeLists.txt
> >  M  +0 -2      examples/applets/CMakeLists.txt
> >  D             examples/applets/analog-clock (directory)
> >  D             examples/applets/plasmaclock (directory)
> > [snip]
> Oh - should we try and get them working? There is still some work to do on
> the plasma C# code although it compiles.
>
> The problem is that the QGraphicsWidget class has changed quite a lot in Qt
> 4.6, and the PlasmaScripting_QGraphicsWidget.cs class is supposed to
> implement the  IGraphicsItem interface. But I didn't have time to get that
> working and just commented it out (see below), and I think it will mean
> the casts in the code to QGraphicsItems won't work. I'm not sure what the
> problems with the clocks were as I didn't have time to investigate, but it
> could be related.
>
>     public class QGraphicsWidget : QObject{
> //    public class QGraphicsWidget : QObject, IQGraphicsItem {
Yes, we should definitely try to get the Plasma stuff working.
But I think the plasma clocks aren't really suited to serve as a plasmoid
example - they just became rather heavy. They depend on a shared library
(libplasmaclock, which we had to translate as well) and together with all the
configuration dialog stuff spread over plasmaclock and analog-clock this makes
it a bad example, imho.
I think we should take something lighter to translate to C#, like the pastebin
plasmoid from kdeplasma-addons.
Just as we're at it: how about moving all the examples out of kdebindings and
into the new kde-examples branch or whatever it is?

arno at arnorehn.de