[Kde-bindings] Does Qyoto really need KDE libs?

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Thu Jan 21 11:18:12 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 08:26:13 pm IBBoard wrote:
> I just tried installing Qyoto on my Fedora machine at work and noticed
> that it was trying to pull in quite large chunks of the core of KDE (at
> least it seemed quite large - there were a number of packages, more than
> I'd have expected). At first I just thought that it was lazy packaging
> and that they hadn't split it up as well as they could have on the
> assumption that KDE users would be using Qt. Now that I'm at home I've
> checked my openSUSE install and I've got libkde4 and libkdecore4
> installed, amongst other packages, and can't remove them because of
> dependencies from Smoke.
>
> Does Smoke (and hence Qyoto) really need to be integrated with KDE
> (libsmoke2 apparently requires libkdeui.so.5 and libakonadi, the PIM
> app) or is it just a packaging issue that I could work around if I
> repackaged things myself?
I don't know what libsmoke2 is. I don't think we have that in the kdebindings
svn module. For the KDE 4.4 release, each C++ library should have a
corresponding smoke library. For instance, libsmokeqtgui corresponds to
libQtGui or libsmokekdeui corresponds to libkdeui. Only the smoke libs which
wrap kde classes should have kde dependencies.