[Kde-bindings] Stability of Qyoto and QyotoDevelop?

IBBoard ibboard at ibboard.co.uk
Sat Jan 16 19:32:13 UTC 2010

(Sorry, Arno, I hit the wrong button - duplicate "reply to list" for
other people to see)

On 16/01/10 17:36, Arno Rehn wrote:
> > It's sad that Eric has got the impression that Qyoto is
unmaintained. Around
> > one year ago he was developing a Jabber client, using Qyoto. He
communicated
> > with us and we fixed all bugs he reported. As long as Qyoto is in
KDE's trunk
> > it will be maintained and developed.
> > If someone tells us about a bug in Qyoto we'll fix it as fast as
possible.
> > There are just not many users of Qyoto at the moment, I only know of
Eric's
> > Jabber client (http://synapse.im, but that one is really
unmaintained, the
> > last commit was in May 2009.).
> >
> > Regarding stability: I am not aware of any major bugs - but as I
said, we
> > don't have that many testers. Everything I tested runs fine.
> > We are currently in the process of splitting up the large
"qt-dotnet" assembly
> > into smaller assemblies (like qyoto-qtcore, qyoto-qtgui etc.). When
these
> > changes make it into trunk, you probably need to recompile against
the new
> > assemblies. It might also happen that old source code becomes
incompatible
> > with this change. But after that we expect Qyoto's API to be stable.
> >
> > It currently supports Qt 4.5 and a small subset of Qt 4.6 - full Qt 4.6
> > support is in the works (it will probably come together with the
split-up of
> > the assemblies).
> >
> > Apart from QyotoDevelop I don't know of any tool that provides
MonoDevelop
> > integration. But it's really not that hard - just add a reference to
qt-dotnet
> > and you're done. If you don't want to regenerate your ui-source
files from .ui
> > files every time you make a change to the UI, just use QtUiLoader to
load them
> > dynamically at run-time.
> >
> > If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask :)
> > Regards,

Eric's Synapse app and the associated QyotoDevelop were the reasons why
I looked at Qyoto again. After hunting for Twitter clients I found Qwit
as the best, and being based on Qt4 it still looked great in Gnome. That
made me think about using Qt for my UI again. After a bit of hunting I
found Synapse and QyotoDevelop, but found that QyotoDevelop was flakey
(sometimes loaded, sometimes didn't) and that the recompiling .ui files
generated incorrect code when it did run (something about not being able
to put some kind of control inside another), so I gave up and assumed
QyotoDevelop was old and unsupported.

In terms of Qt version support, I'm not sure what I need that may or may
not be in different versions. As long as it is Qt 4.5 or later and
supports the GTK theming then I suspect I'll be happy with the core
widgets :)

Dynamic loading seems potentially useful, although it would mean people
could seriously mess up their app if they wanted. Pre-compiling is more
what I'm used to. I think that half of QyotoDevelop was linking .ui
files to the editor, half was the auto-recompile, and half was the
default "Qyoto project" config that put the required dependencies in.
I'm already used to having RapidSVN separate from my Visual Studio in a
VM, so separate and disconnected apps are usable, just something I'd
rather avoid if possible.

Thanks for the pointers, now to go and see what I can find in the
openSUSE build service :)

Regards,

IBBoard