[Kde-bindings] KConfigXT compiler for Python

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Sun Aug 15 14:55:56 UTC 2010

Hello,

On 08/13/2010 12:15 AM, Dennis Malcorps wrote:
> Since there is no such application for PyKDE I am currently writing
> one: PyKConfigCompiler [http://gitorious.org/pykconfigcompiler]
>
> PyKConfigCompiler is still in an very early state, there are no
> comments, no unit tests, but it does work with the right input^^

> Are the PyKDE guys actually interested in this? If yes, is it okay
> that my program is a Python application, or do I need to rewrite it in
> C++?

I, and I suspect other people, are certainly interested in more complete
tooling for Python developers, and PyKConfigCompiler sounds like
something which is needed in PyKDE.

It is not just "okay" that this kind of thing is written in Python, it
is highly recommended, in my opinion Python related devs tools be
written in Python.

If PyKConfigCompiler can brought up to a reasonable level of
completeness in time I would like to see it included in PyKDE as part of
4.6 when it comes out at the start of next year.

On a technical note, I don't know much about the kconfig stuff, but is
it possible to read kcfgc files directly at runtime and produce the GUI
on the fly without having to generate .py files at build time?

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/