[Kde-bindings] KConfigXT compiler for Python

Dennis Malcorps dennis.malcorps at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 12 22:15:42 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

(This is actually my second email, the first one didn't show up on this list...)

Since there is no such application for PyKDE I am currently writing
one: PyKConfigCompiler [http://gitorious.org/pykconfigcompiler]

PyKConfigCompiler is still in an very early state, there are no
comments, no unit tests, but it does work with the right input^^

The program is written in Python, it's about halfway done. I know that
there are kconfig_compiler and rbkconfig_compiler (the ruby code
generator), but I didn't based my application on those mainly because:
they are huge! seriously - 1700 (ruby) / 2200(c++) lines of code in a
single file with almost no comments are quite difficult to read, I'm
still trying to figure out some of the stuff that's going on inside of
these programs...

Are the PyKDE guys actually interested in this? If yes, is it okay
that my program is a Python application, or do I need to rewrite it in
C++?

Regards, Dennis

P.S:
If some one wants to test pykconfigcompiler, just get it from the git
repo, cd into it and run:
python kconfig_compiler.py tests/settings.kcfg tests/settings.kcfgc

When testing different options in the kcfgc file, be careful with
changing the "NameSpace" value. the program will create a python
package structure (creating folders and empty __init__.py files) if
the "NameSpace" value contains a dot. It will probably eat little
puppies, too. You have been warned!