[Kde-bindings] New qtbindings gem for Ruby

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue Aug 10 16:12:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Richard Dale
<richard.dale at telefonica.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 10, 2010 04:09:00 pm Ian Monroe wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Melton, Ryan <rmelton at ball.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > I put together a new cross-platform gem for the Ruby bindings to Qt and
> > > put it out on rubygems.org as "qtbindings".  This should make it a lot
> > > easier for people to install the ruby bindings on non-KDE systems. I've
> > > tested it out on Windows XP, Ubuntu Linux, and Mac OSX Snow Leopard so
> > > far and it seems to work great.  It is mainly the code straight from KDE
> > > bindings, but it also includes the patches for building on Windows I
> > > submitted to this list back in February, the fix for ExtraSelection, and
> > > some new fixes I've put in for the HWND__* classes on Windows.   I will
> > > be submitting the new patches back to this list soon.  Some other
> > > changes include minor modifications to the CMakelists.txt files, and
> > > reorganizing the folders into a standard ruby gem structure that I doubt
> > > you would want to incorporate back into the kdebindings repository.
> >
> > Being able to maintain the RubyGem in KDE SVN would really make a lot more
> > sense though. Whats wrong with the standard ruby gem structure?
> I would rather maintain it in the KDE *git* repo. Then it would be relatively
> easy to push changes to the github one as it's all git. Or even have another
> qtruby in gitorious aimed at MeeGo - if we can only swith to git we could do
> that kind of thing.

Oh well I agree that switching to Git would be great of course. Thats
kind of a different discussion though. :)

And even in that case, any MeeGo or ruby gem repos should just be work
branches with the goal of merging back in all the changes to mainline
master often. There's no reason this sort of stuff needs to be
developed separately.

Ian