[Kde-bindings] New qtbindings gem for Ruby

Richard Dale richard.dale at telefonica.net
Tue Aug 10 15:27:24 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, August 10, 2010 04:09:00 pm Ian Monroe wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Melton, Ryan <rmelton at ball.com> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I put together a new cross-platform gem for the Ruby bindings to Qt and
> > put it out on rubygems.org as "qtbindings".  This should make it a lot
> > easier for people to install the ruby bindings on non-KDE systems. I've
> > tested it out on Windows XP, Ubuntu Linux, and Mac OSX Snow Leopard so
> > far and it seems to work great.  It is mainly the code straight from KDE
> > bindings, but it also includes the patches for building on Windows I
> > submitted to this list back in February, the fix for ExtraSelection, and
> > some new fixes I've put in for the HWND__* classes on Windows.   I will
> > be submitting the new patches back to this list soon.  Some other
> > changes include minor modifications to the CMakelists.txt files, and
> > reorganizing the folders into a standard ruby gem structure that I doubt
> > you would want to incorporate back into the kdebindings repository.
>
> Being able to maintain the RubyGem in KDE SVN would really make a lot more
> sense though. Whats wrong with the standard ruby gem structure?
I would rather maintain it in the KDE *git* repo. Then it would be relatively
easy to push changes to the github one as it's all git. Or even have another
qtruby in gitorious aimed at MeeGo - if we can only swith to git we could do
that kind of thing.

I have wanted to split up QtRuby in different ruby extensions for each of the
Qt modules (qtcore, qtgui, qtnetwork etc) for a while and have wanted to
restructure the project. Maybe we can make it more 'gems friendly' at the same
time by using the github project's structure?

> > Enjoy and I hope this increases the adoption of the great bindings you
> > guys put together!  :)
>
> This is great work indeed. :)
Yes, I agree - congratulations! I think having native gems for qtruby on the
three platforms, will really help get it adopted. I think there was another
release on the Rubyforge site recently (is that the same thing?) - I must pay
attention to what is going on there.

My only slight reservation is that it is called 'qtbindings' instead of
'qtruby' and I wonder if people will think it is a different project.