[Kde-bindings] Noob to qyoto

James Mansion james at mansionfamily.plus.com
Sun Sep 13 16:33:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been sadly avoiding Qt and Qyoto over licensing but now that its an
LGPL playing field I'm getting interested. I don't normally do any GUI
programming but one of my kids is showing an interest in writing some
wargaming stuff and it really was very easy to pick up PyQt in lunchtime
and build the basics of a hex map with him in the evening.  I've never
been very keen on the moc thing as a C++ coder, but I guess that if it
makes wrappers easier then its just great, and it was a blast putting
together a simple GUI program on a new platform - haven't had so much
fun since VB1 came out.

Anyway - its a lot easier to involve the lad on Windows, at least for
the moment.  The kids get on OK with Ubuntu most of the time but we keep
finding educational or gaming bits they'd like to access.

Professionally, my clients tend to use Windows desktops too - even if
I'm paid to code on Solaris and Linux.  So: Qyoto looks very interesting
to me, and I like the idea that I could package a minimal mono and
Qt/Qyoto runtime with apps. I think this is superior to Java/Qt at the
moment, if only because right now getting the JRE slimmed down is tricky.

It would, however, be a lot easier if I could use Microsoft's runtime as
well, and that seems like it might be an issue.  When I commented on my
joy that MonoDevelop is going cross-platform and keen-ness on mono/qt as
a delivery platform (http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Sep-09.html),
a comment to my comment saiid that:

 > Qyoto relies on mono's conservative garbage collector, and doesn't
work with Microsoft's .NET.
 > It's also sparsely maintained as far as I've been able to tell, which
is a shame.

Now the latter might be a matter of perception, and hopefully when Arno
finishes his shiny new generator there will be a big splash on the KDE
lists, and on the QT lists, and on the Mono lists etc.

But is the former currently accurate for Windows?  Will it remain the
case in future?  It sounds like a bug and rather fragile given an intent
to change the gc strategy in Mono (eventually).

James