[Kde-bindings] methods missing from ruby bindings when using smoke built with the new generator

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Mon Nov 2 10:15:37 UTC 2009

On Thursday 15 October 2009, Stefano Crocco wrote:
> |After succeeding in building smoke with the new generator, I found out two
> |problems running my programs using the ruby bindings.
> |
> |The first problem is that the KDE::SharedConfig doesn't seem to have a
> | #group method anymore. Looking at the KDE api, that method is defined in
> | the KConfigBase, from which KDE::SharedConfig is derived, so I think it
> | should be availlable. You can see this error running the following code.
> |
> |require 'korundum4'
> |
> |data = KDE::AboutData.new "test", "", KDE::ki18n("Test"), "0.0.0"
> |
> |KDE::CmdLineArgs.init ARGV, data
> |
> |a = KDE::Application.new
> |c = KDE::Global.config
> |c.group 'xyz'
> |
> |The last line causes the error:
> |
> |in `method_missing': undefined method `group' for
> |#<KDE::SharedConfig:0x825caa0> (NoMethodError)
> |
> |The second problem is that Qt::SizePolicy#setHorizontalStretch doesn't
> | seem to work. According to rbqtapi, a binding for the
> |QSizePolicy::setHorizontalStretch exists, but in practice it doesn't work.
> |This can be seen in any file generated by rbuic, such as that contained in
> | the calculatorform qtruby example. Running it, it gives:
> |
> |ui_calculatorform.rb:32:in `method_missing': undefined method
> |`setHorizontalStretch' for #<Qt::SizePolicy:0x8404d04 horizontalPolicy=5,
> |verticalPolicy=5> (NoMethodError)
> |
> |I don't know whehter this is an issue with the new smoke generator or not.
> | The fact is that if I replace the new version of smoke with an old one,
> | build using kalyptus (revision 1000944) everything start working again.
> | So, I think that either the new generator or some other change in smoke
> | since that revision should be blamed for these issues (of course,
> | provided I'm not doing something wrong).
> |
> |Maybe this is a known issue, but I chose to report it just in case it
> | wasn't.
> |
> |Thanks in advance
> |
> |Stefano

I wrote this message more than two weeks ago and I didn't get any answers. I
can think of three reasons for this:
1) the developers don't have time to answer right now
2) my mail went unnoticed
3) the problems I describe only exist on my system

In the first case, there's nothing to say: I'll wait until the developers have
more free time and go on using the old version of smoke which is working quite
well. By the way, I'd like to thank the developers for all the work they're
doing to produce such wonderful software.

If my mail was unnoticed, I hope that this will bring it to the attention of
the developers.

If nobody else can reproduce the errors I described, please tell me so. This
way, I'll know that there's something wrong with my system and start
investigating about it.

I generally don't like writing mails like this, pressing people to answer my
questions. The only reason I'm doing it now is to make sure the developers
know of a serious (at least, unless it only happens to me) issue. In
particular, I find the problem with Qt::SizePolicy very serious because makes
the Qt designer completely useless, as the code for all the widgets it creates
contains calls to Qt::SizePolicy#setHorizontalStretch which crash the program.

Sorry for the noise

Thanks in advance for any help and for the understanding

Stefano