[Kde-bindings] Combining perl's MakeMaker with CMake for PerlQt4

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Sat May 2 12:49:45 UTC 2009

On Saturday 02 May 2009 09:57:19 Chris Burel wrote:
> I'm interested in unifying the build procedure for the PerlQt4
> bindings I'm working on with that from kdebindings.  This means making
> the bindings build with CMake.  I'm not sure how to do this.  Does
> anyone have experience with perl's ExtUtils::MakeMaker module?  Am I
> right in thinking that I'd need to rewrite a lot of the functionality
> of MakeMaker in CMake?  Or could I just have CMake run the perl script
> that generates the make file for the bindings, and have the bindings
> have their own makefile?
You could run the perl script with CMake, but the whole build process of the
perl bindings would then look out of place. I'd suggest writing everything in
CMake, it's really not that hard. What exactly do you have to do to build the
bindings? Since it's a scripting language, I guess it only includes building a
couple of C/C++ sources and installing the libraries together with some perl
scripts. That's only a few lines in CMake, so you really don't need to rewrite
most of ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

arno at arnorehn.de