[Kde-bindings] KDE 4.2 RC1 (4.1.96) try#1

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Jan 16 15:14:10 UTC 2009

Am Dienstag 13 Januar 2009 01:01:42 schrieb Dirk Mueller:
> > > * kdebase-workspace and kdebindings depend on each other:
> > >  you need kdebase-workspace installed to build kdebindings;
> > >  you need kdebindigns installed to build script-support in
> > > kdebase-workspace -> we have some kind of bootstrapping here which is
> > > not really ideal.
> >
> > IIRC that only affects nepomuk. Workspace needs to depend on bindings
> > for plasma-python and plasma-ruby, though bindings only needs
> > workspace for nepomuk. I am not sure how exactly that should be
> > resolved though... from my point of view plasma-$scripting shouldn't
> > be in workspace to begin with.
>
> Bootstrapping issues shouldn't be introduced by out dependencies. Why were
> those plasma bindings moved into kdebase rather than kdeplasma-addons? We
> created this module to resolve such dependency issues.

The bootstrapping idea wont really work. I am sure most build tools cannot
handle this without some hacks. In the end we'll end up with a lot of packages
which have the plasma bindings disabled.

So, I only see two possible solutions here:
* Move the bindings to kdeplasma-addons as Dirk suggested
* Override the buildtime dependency check as suggested here:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-bindings&m=123172183115727&w=2

I'd vote for number one as the cleanest solution. But I am note sure if that
is possible with only a few days left till 4.2 will be tagged.

Greetings,

Pierre

--

Pierre Schmitz