[Kde-bindings] KDE/kdebindings

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Mon Aug 24 14:16:04 UTC 2009

On Sunday 23 August 2009 06:26:28 pm Arno Rehn wrote:
> On Thursday 20 August 2009 14:56:15 Richard Dale wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 August 2009 12:38:41 am Arno Rehn wrote:
> > > SVN commit 1013460 by arnorehn:
> > >
> > > Add the new smokegenerator to trunk. CMakeLists.txt still
> > > have to be adjusted to use it.
> > >
> > > CCMAIL: kde-bindings at kde.org
> > >

> > >  M  +2 -0      CMakeLists.txt
> > >  A             generator (directory)
> >
> > Good it's commited to kdebindings, but I'm not sure that a name of
> > 'generator' at the top level is very clear - I preferred 'smokegenerator'
> > as it was called in the playground or maybe kdebindings/smoke/generator.
> > Although it is a genertal purpose parser like the PySide one, people will
> > know what part of KDE and bindings it is associated with if it has
> > 'smoke' in the name somewhere. We could talk about the 'smoke C# sources
> > generator' etc.
>
> Yes, I'm not perfectly happy with the name 'generator' either. But it's
> still a general purpose parser and hence I don't think the name
> 'smokegenerator' would be more appropiate (even though it will mostly
> generate smoke-based bindings..). Maybe we can come up with some fancy name
> as for 'kalyptus'?
I'm glad we have got rid of the kalytpus name - I called it that because the
Java KDE bindings were called 'Koala' and 'kalyptus' went with that. But
nobody ever called the Java bindings 'Koala', and kalytpus ended up doing a
lot of different things than just generate Java bindings.

It is a general purpose parser that takes generator plugins, and so a better
meaningless name would be 'parser' rather than 'generator'.

I would prefer to stick with the name 'smoke' and not have too many names. So
'smokegen' would be my preferred option for the installed binary. I personally
don't care much about non-smoke based bindings, and everything the parser is
used for will probably have something to do with smoke - eg generatore C#
sources.