[Kde-bindings] How to deploy Qt Ruby application

Niels Slot nielsslot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 20:19:46 UTC 2009

With C++, Makefiles and .pro files are used to build the C++ application.
That is, compile the source code to binary executable. Since Ruby is a
scripted language, this is not needed. That means that Makefiles and .pro
files are pretty useless in QtRuby projects.

If you want to share your QtRuby application with some friends, I think you
have two possibilities.

1. Put the code in a tar-file and ask your friends to install the
'ruby-kde4' package before trying to run your application.

2. Make a .deb package of your code. If you want to know how to do this,
have a look at some Kubuntu/Debian documentation or ask on the Kubuntu-devel
IRC channel or mailing list.

Hope this helps,

Niels