[Kde-bindings] Can I put my 'Developing Ruby apps with the QT Designer' tutorial somewhere on KDE Techbase?

Niels Slot nielsslot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 16:33:12 UTC 2009

Hi Declan,

First of all, I'm not one of the QtRuby developers, nor a maintainer of
Techbase articles. I did wrote one of the Ruby tutorials for Plasma and have
2 years of Ruby experience.

I looked through your tutorial. Basically, it looks nice. You tell the
reader how Qt Designer works and show sufficient code examples. The tutorial
is also very verbose, there's no way anyone could miss a step.

There are some small things that you could do to make it better:

- You can use the '<code ruby>' tags. This will enable Ruby highlighting for
snippets of code. There are also special tags for things like tips and
warnings.
- Please use 'Qt' not 'QT' when talking about the toolkit.
- You might want to think about your usage of bullets and numbers in the
lists. Try to separate the 'do this and that' from the explanation. In the
paragraph 'Creating the basic application structure' for example you have
'run the rbuic4 command' and the explanation of its options on the same
level.
You could also, in general, put more of the text as normal text instead of
as lists.
- The tutorial could use an abstract. Possibly an introduction and maybe
some screenshots.

Great work, I look forward to your reply.

Niels