[Kde-bindings] Naming conventions for scripting applets and data engines

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 12:18:40 UTC 2008

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have a common naming
convention for the python and ruby scriptengine examples in kdebase, and put
the in the same directory structure. At the moment for Ruby we have:

examples
    applets
        plasma_applet_ruby_clock
    dataengines
        ruby_time

For Python:

test
    plasma-applet-pyclock
    plasma-dataengine-pytime

I think 'examples' is a better place than 'test', and that we are better off
dividing them into 'applets' and 'dataengine' directories like the ruby
ones.

I prefer the python names like 'pyclock' or 'rbclock' to 'python_clock' or
'ruby_clock'.

Do we need to include 'plasma_applet' or 'plasma_dataengine' in all the
names?

Should the names contain hyphens or underscores instead?