[Kde-bindings] [Reminder] Feature Freeze.

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Mon May 19 18:39:54 UTC 2008

On Monday 19 May 2008 19:24:36 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> Richard Dale wrote:
> > On Monday 19 May 2008 17:10:28 Tom Albers wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> From the schedule: "May 19th, 2008: Hard Feature Freeze". For those of
> >> you still working on stuff, you have until midnight YLT (Your Local
> >> Time) to get it in. After that no new features can go in.
> >>
> >> Please look at:
> >> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.1_Feature_Plan
> >>
> >> And move everything red and yellow to:
> >> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.2_Feature_Plan
> >>
> >> Happy bughunting all!
> >
> > I'm not sure about what constitutes a 'feature' in the kdebindings
> > module. We've recently greatly improved our code generation for the
> > Ruby/C#/PHP bindings ('modular smoke' now completed in the schedule), and
> > would like to use that to generate a lot more bindings for the KDE apis.
> > So we expect to be checking in lots of new bindings before the KDE 4.1
> > release, and I hope this is OK.
>
> Ups, I moved the
> "Wrap some more APIs (at least Akanodi for all languages and Plasma for
> C#)" already from 4.1 to 4.2. I guess the prob (and reason for the move)
> is, that the term is/was just very generic (as in something without a clear
> goal where somebody is able to say "ok, that's done now"). But imho there
> is for sure no reason to don't split it into e.g. "Akonadi bindings for C#"
> or "Plasma bindings for Ruby" which wouldn't only result in more items but
> also result in clear goals rather then a generic "Wrap some more APIs" one
> (which for sure is never really "done" :)
>
> Hope that was ok? Else for sure fell free to split/move/whatever && mark it
> todo/progress/done/etc. the item by yourself :)
Actually what we actually do is:  "Wrap some more APIs" and "keep fixing
stuff".

You never know whether you're going to hit problems with the Mono compiler, or
weird unwrappable complicated shit in the kdelibs, strange Ruby stack
underflows or whatever. So language bindings doesn't really proceed in a very
predictable way.

I think we will probably wrap the Akonadi api in Ruby and possibly C#, but
then again we might not.